Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Broadway wiki edit #1

Tonight I have made my first wikipedia edit to my wikipedia article, Broadway Theatre . I noticed in the "Notes" section a comment about the spelling of theater or theatre. In my mind I then began to wonder what, if any, is the proper usage of each spelling? The spelling of 'theatre' is from the French language and is also used in England. In the United States however, as with many other words we have changed it to 'theater'. After some minor research I came to find that, for the most part the two are interchangeable. However, most commonly, when referring to the art form or actual company, the 're' ending is used. When referring to the building 'er' is more commonly used. It is typically suggested though to use 'er' in most publications.

No comments: